Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Going on a limb...

I have just watched the Yes We Can video for about the zillionth time and a conversation with my brother replayed from earlier today. He accused me of being brainwashed by the "cult of personality," Barack Obama. So much so that he thinks I am now blinded in my judgment to choose the best candidate.

While watching this video and being conscious of the feelings it invokes in me, I began to wonder how what Barack says and inspires is different from other great leaders from the past (Abraham Lincoln, Winston Churchill, Martin Luther King, Jr., Mahatma Ghandi, Ronald Reagan, etc., etc.) have said. Everyone can agree that these were great leaders who said inspiring things. Did people roll their eyes back then and accuse them of the same thing my brother accused Barack Obama of doing? Was everything they said a platitude based on ideals without any substance behind them?

I ask you all to cast aside your cynicism and really listen to what Barack Obama is offering this country. Put yourself on a limb and don't play it safe. This is not about voting for a particular party or a particular race. It's about healing this country and restoring the world's faith in us. If this country is lucky enough to elect Barack Obama things will change for the better. Mark my word.

No comments: