Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Ordering at the deli counter

I was at the deli counter today. My experience is always the same. There's like three people back there who ignore you for awhile. Then one of them starts helping but the other two keep on ignoring everybody. The one who finally acknowledges that there are people who want something moves VERY SLOWLY and starts slicing some meat. All the while, the line continues to grow and the other two chat with the one slicing stuff and push a rag listlessly over the counters and the other inactive slicing machine. My kids start to play with the cart, ask for stuff, invade each other's space (and mine). I yell at them while wanting to jump over the counter and get my own lunch meat.

This is how it is no matter what part of the country I'm in or what store. I have never seen an energized, pleasant, deli counter worker ever! I'm not exaggerating! It's like they go through some kind of brainwashing/training that takes all the life and ability to care out of them before they are allowed to work. I picture a room like the one in Orwell's 1984. Is there any other explanation? Is there anyone out there who has had a pleasant experience at a deli counter? I'd like to know if it's possible.......

3 comments:

brooke said...

Ugh. That sounds horrible. I never go to the deli counter, so I don't have a good or bad experience to share.

Anonymous said...

Mike's Deli near my house has employees who look like they are happy to be there and each one is busy quickly helping customers. They all say sir and ma'am and no one is idle.

Life Junkie said...

So they do exist! A deli with happy, efficient, polite workers is out there somewhere. That makes me feel better.