Saturday, July 19, 2008

My son's new best friend....

The other day, my seven year old son was listing his best friends and, halfway down the list, he mentioned one of his friend's dad. This initially surprised me and later freaked me out. Am I overreacting? My husband says I need to go with my gut feelings. My gut feeling says there is something sinister about a man who is that "fun" to a child and the potential for predatory sexual advances is there. Here's what I know about him:
  1. If he works at all, his hours are such that he is at school drop off and pick up most of the time.
  2. His wife is very shy and quiet.
  3. He likes to gather groups of boys and invite them to do things with him and his two sons.
  4. He lives in a clean, well kept house in a lower income area of town.
  5. He speaks with an accent and might be Indian or from somewhere in the Middle East.
  6. He is personable and outgoing.
  7. When my son goes to play, he always comes back saying he and his friends played fun games with him.
  8. His son is very mischievous and doesn't listen to me when he comes to play but seems otherwise, well adjusted.
None of the things above bothered me until my son listed him as a best friend. Now I'm torn between not wanting to make something out of nothing, and the fear that I could be right and allow something to happen.

What does everyone think and what would you do?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think your husband is right, that you should go with your instincts. It's just smarter that way.
- your upside-down brother.