Monday, January 21, 2008

Unity is the great need of the hour...



I had a nice Martin Luther King Jr. Day today. There was a party for the kids in the afternoon. My friend noted that 99% of the attendees where white but that's the kind of homogeneous town we live in, sadly. I want to make sure my kids know about people like Martin Luther King, Jr. because of their surroundings. We live in what's considered "The South" for the first time in my life and I am still amazed at how slow things have progressed as far as racial tolerance, around here. Most places in town are open and Martin Luther King Jr.'s holiday is minimally acknowledged.


The highlight of my day came when I watched this inspiring speech. It literally gave me goosebumps! It's 30 minutes long but is worth watching the whole way through! Some of the more memorable quotes (I took notes) were, "Nothing in this country worthwhile has ever happened except somebody, somewhere decided to hope." and "The stories that give me my hope don't happen in the spotlight." Check it out for yourself:

No comments: