Sunday, January 27, 2008

A little break...

While I could go on and on about the primary in SC yesterday and the disappointing results of W&L's Mock Con, I'm going to take a break from my political ranting and tell you about one of the coolest gifts my kids got for Christmas this year.



It must be prefaced with a story, though. My brother and his family live in the Chicago area and we visited them this summer. It was the year of the cicada that happens at seventeen year intervals. You couldn't walk in their backyard without crunching on molted cicada skins and being pelted with random flying kamakazi bugs. I know they don't have mouths but it seems their humongous eyes don't do them much good either. The sound was deafening and you had to yell to be heard over their mating calls! My daughter was in bug paradise and was playing matchmaker by picking them up and setting them on top of each other.





My sister-in-law found these cool gifts from their buggy summer and encased them in paper- mache ornaments for all the nieces and nephews. When they cracked them open, they found a real cicada preserved in glycerin soap! The kids thought they were so cool and we now have one in the soap dish in the guest bathroom. So far, we haven't had any company to freak out but maybe soon...



No comments: