Wednesday, January 30, 2008

A glimpse into a six year old's mind...


Every week, my son brings home a story he has written and illustrated. This week, this is what came home. In case you can't read it, it says, "I got lost (lots) of leftovors (leftovers). I omoste (almost) got kild (killed). I got full." I'm thinking, "When did he almost get killed while eating leftovers? What is his teacher thinking is happening in our family behind closed doors?" The drawing didn't help me answer any of these questions. It looks like some sort of half-human, half-animal creature capturing other horribly mutated creatures who can fly. I had to go to the source and ask. I know you're supposed to be all sensitive and positive so as not to crush their fragile budding self esteem, etc. You're supposed to say in a voice dripping with syrupy sweetness, "Tell me about your drawing, sweetie." I felt that my son's ego was secure enough not to beat around the bush. I asked him, "What in the world is this?!" He gave me a very long, drawn out, rambling explanation but here's the gist of it. His teacher asked them to pretend like they were wolves and to write a story from that perspective. His story was that he ate a bunch of scraps laying around and then a Polar Bear almost ate him (picture one). He escaped and caught himself a baby seal (picture two) and then was full. I'm thinking we'll push him more towards the sciences going forward.....

No comments: