Thursday, November 15, 2007

I want to switch to this church!



I heard a story on NPR the other day that there are STILL cases in the Catholic church of priests molesting children and being reported to higher ups. The higher ups then do nothing with the information (except maybe destroy it). The police are not contacted and the priest is not removed from contact with children. This latest case involves Father Daniel McCormack (the molestor) and Cardinal Frances George (one of the guys turning a blind eye), who was just elected president of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops.



As a Catholic, I am outraged that,
  • the abuse went on for fourteen years without being addressed
  • no one in the Chicago archdiocese is being held accountable
  • Cardinal Frances George failed to immediately remove Father Daniel McCormack upon notification of the allegations
  • Not only is Cardinal Frances George not being held accountable, he is being PROMOTED by his peers!

    I shot an email off to my local parish’s priest asking him to whom I may write a letter expressing my outrage and here’s what I found out. The U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops vote from within their ranks for the new President of USCCB. If you wish to put something into writing, please write to:


    Mr. Jimmy M. Lago, Chancellor
    Archdiocese of Chicago
    The Pastoral Center
    P.O. Box 1979
    Chicago, IL 60690



    I plan on doing that. Any other Catholics out there who feel the same should let these people know that we will not tolerate the abuse or the failure of the church to root it out and address it. Until I see a systematic change in our church, I am going to assume that all priests are pedofiles (how can I be assured they’re not, if the organization is more worried about covering it up than protecting our children) and my kids will NEVER be alone with a priest.

  • No comments: