Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Brutus Buckeye

I was in Columbus, Ohio over the weekend to see my Buckeyes play Ohio University (we won but that's a whole other story). Before the game, I saw in the morning paper that there would be all these Brutus Buckeye statues around the Schottenstein Center and I had to go check 'em out.

For those of you who have no idea who Brutus Buckeye is, let me enlighten you. First of all, he is the most awesome mascot on the planet. Besides that, though, he is first and foremost a buckeye. What is a buckeye? It's a nut similar to a chestnut and VERY POISONOUS! When he was first introduced as Ohio State's mascot, he looked like this:


He gradually evolved to this in the 80's and 90's.


While I didn't get any pictures of the actual Brutus last weekend, I took a ton of the statues! They were so fun to check out!

There's John Glenn Brutus


Jim Tressel Brutus


Statue of Liberty Brutus


A tribute to the legendary man, Woody Brutus


They also had Dave Thomas Brutus, a hippy Brutus, drum major Brutus, and so many more! If you're in Columbus, it's a must see!

No comments: