Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Color is not my thing....

The painters started painting our shutters today. I went home for lunch and they were just starting. It seemed really bright but I didn't want to panic. I leashed up the dog and, by the time I got around the block once, the first set of shutters was done. It looked like this:

Note the contrast from the shutters to the frame of the screen door (do not note the dead hanging plant in the bottom right hand corner). It's bad, right? From a distance it looks even worse! I asked them to stop in what I hoped was a calm voice and proceeded to inundate my husband's voice mail with messages. Then I plucked some leaves off the bushes and sped off to Sherwin Williams. My gut tells me the shutters should be less orange-y red and more purple-y red to go with the door and the foliage. I also want it to go well with the rocks to the right of the front door. I have no confidence, though. Anyone with an opinion, please help. My husband is not answering his phone and I need to decide soon!

This is what I think will work:

The old color is on the right and the new color is on the left. Here's how it looks by the front door:
Thank goodness I never studied to be an interior designer! It'd be the worst!!! Am I on the right track? Am I panicking over nothing? Advice, please........

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks like a good match to me. Especially since the shade is never going to be exact since one is going onto wood and the other is metal, right? Your panic is correct. They did not match in a major way. Breathe deep...all will be well.
-Your upside down sister-in-law

Anonymous said...

It looks great!

Marshamlow said...

I am horrid at advice, just have sympathy. We are about to get our house painted too.

kate said...

i really love that purpley color you picked to re-do it...i think it will look really great!