Saturday, March 15, 2008

Obama is not Wright

I'm just now digesting all this hoopla over some sermons given from Barack Obama's pastor, Rev. Jeremiah Wright. People seem to be saying that Obama is guilty of harboring the same views as his pastor because,
  1. He attends this church
  2. He appointed him to his campaign's African American Religious Leadership Committee
  3. He married the Obamas and baptized their children
At first, I had to agree that it looks pretty bad for Obama and I had concerns about his loyalty to this country versus loyalty to his race (you can be loyal to both but the sermons by Rev. Wright suggest that one must choose). The more I thought about it though, my fear didn't hold water. First, there's this YouTube clip Barack released saying in no uncertain terms, that he does not share Rev. Wrights opinions on these issues. I believe him.

Then, I began to think, what if I ran for public office and they went to my church and started picking apart everything Father Joe said and transferring his words on to me. Yikes! If you could hear my pastor speak and compare it to what I think, there would be an overlap of about 5%! Seriously.

So, as far as I'm concerned, the matter is resolved. Now if the press and the other presidential campaigners would just do the same.....

1 comment:

Life Junkie said...

I've checked out the links for "Muslims Against Sharia." I support their goals of reforming Islam and educating the public between moderate Muslims and Islamists. The two articles included were eye-opening (well at least one was). I find McCain's relationship with Rod Parsley much more disturbing than Obama's with Wright. Parsley's books contend that Islam should be obliterated by Christian. This sounds as bad as rhetoric by Bin Laden to me!