Monday, October 29, 2007

I Can't Tolerate Intolerance!!!


I got an email the other day with this image and a very disturbing message. The subject said, "CHRISTMAS STAMP What The Hell Is The Matter With This Country?? The message went on to convince everyone to boycott the purchase of this stamp stating "it would be a slap in the face to all those Americans who died at the hands of those whom this stamp honors."


I went out to www.snopes.com and found out that most of the content of this email was false including that this is a holiday postage stamp. In fact, it's not even available anymore except by special order. The part that bothered me the most was the mentality that allows people to think Muslim = Al-Qaeda terrorist. The message listed seven terrorist attacks separately blaming MUSLIMS (in caps) for each one. The purpose of this message was to spread hatred and intolerance towards anyone who calls themselves a Muslim. How can anyone think this is OK to send to anyone?


I'm still scratching my head because the person who sent me this is a loving mother, wife and daughter. She is a regular church-goer too. I had to send her a reply telling her how outraged I was. It was pretty harsh because, of course, I didn't wait to calm down before banging a message out and clicking send. Part of me regrets using the word "bigot" in the message but part of me doesn't........

No comments: