Sunday, December 21, 2008

Thoughts on prayer

I came to the conclusion recently that I don't believe in the power of prayer. My thought process went something like this: A. God is omnipotent. B. Good things happen to bad people. C. Bad things happen to good people. D. Both B & C seem to happen randomly. Therefore, if prayer had any impact, wouldn't good things happen to good people more and bad things happen to bad people more? Also, wouldn't it be safe to assume that millions are praying for starving Africans yet they keep starving. If God is omnipotent, and prayer worked, wouldn't starving Africans be seeing some kind of relief by now?

Here's the problem, though. I've been praying all my life. I can't just stop. I can't just quit saying bedtime prayers with my kids. My husband is currently out west in all that crazy weather. I can't not pray for his safe return. I know it's crazy to be so ambivalent about prayer but I don't know how to move on to the next step and be at peace.

I wish everyone but do not pray for everyone to have peace this holiday season!

2 comments:

David A. Davison said...

I quote from Aristotle Onassis on the murder of his grandmother and if he wanted to say a prayer for her, "Prayer changes nothing! Life is fixed!".

I'm not a religious person at all, not any longer at least. My life is no better or worse for not praying.

Do what's best for you, and don't worry about what others think. Try to be kind and treat others with respect. If prayer is part of it, great, and if it isn't, that's fine too. You are still the same person with the same values.

Anonymous said...

I think prayer is more than a request list. It's a time to stop and re-center myself with the Lord. It's about taking a moment to listen and find perspective. Think of it this way...you have something you're upset about and so you tell a friend about it. You don't expect that friend to solve the problem, but you appreciate the comfort and support they provide. And time we spend praying or meditating blesses us in the peace it can bring. God gave us life, He also gave us choice-the power to choose for ourselves-. So you can choose to not pray if you want, He won't be upset with you(in my opinion). And He'll still be there if you change your mind.
-Cheri